Thursday, January 22, 2015

Third Time's A Charm?

Adventure #3?
So yeah...about that third kid thing.

Just ask my husband. There generally isn't a day that goes by that I don't/didn't ask him if we could have another baby. If you know me at all or stumbled across my previous blog you know I pretty much love all things birth and baby. That includes being pregnant myself and giving birth. Yes, I even love the process of giving birth. The guts and the glory.

But due to the move, and finances, and well, all the reasons you ever say "now is not the right time" the answer was always, sorta, a "not right now." So I stopped asking. I think it was wearing him out and I had finally come to terms with the fact that we might never have a third baby. Or, in my mind, I'd just wait until I was 42. I had visions of being more financially stable, a house built, both of us settled in our careers, his NC State Teacher Certification in hand, etc. 42 felt, in some regards, the right time. My mom had my sister at 40. I would be the crazy lady pregnant with #3 at 42. We would have a "separate" family with the third baby. (According to Dr. Kevin Leman in his book The Birth Order Book when you have a span of more that 5 years between children, you basically have a separate family. That child or children are raised differently (for a variety of factors) than the previous kids more closely spaced.)

Well then I trusted my body to science. I mean an app. And magic happened. And I ran the Las Vegas Marathon, and TA-DA! Surprise!


So here I am. 37. "Advanced Maternal Age." Pregnant with #3. First trimester I had a little bit of morning sickness and nausea. I've been freezing cold since I discovered I was pregnant. And tired. Not surprising, but tired. I didn't have morning sickness with the girls. And I wasn't cold with them either. Curious to find out if maybe I'm carrying a boy. A few more weeks and we'll know.


This pregnancy I'm trying to fit in all the things I've read and learned about - birth dancing, Sacred Pregnancy classes, hiring a doula, hiring a birth photographer. Trying to squeeze in all the pregnancy goodness that I can. Live every moment of this pregnancy. Of my last pregnancy.

I'm using the midwives in town and planning another home water birth. The only thing that has really thrown me for a loop is having a summer baby. I will be VERY pregnant this summer - but luckily it doesn't get to terribly hot and humid here. I had two spring girl babies before this making the clothing needs a breeze. Wonder what I'll be able to reuse. Then I realized I'll have a summer birthday baby - bringing a whole different dynamic to the school birthday celebrations.

I am looking forward to completing my family. I've always imagined Emma as the middle child and so far she is very excited about her role as both a middle and big sister.

So here we go again! Another joyful journey through motherhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment