Thursday, January 29, 2015

Adventures in #2...Adopting a Gluten and Dairy Free Diet

It's amazing when you really start to read food labels and take a look at what makes a food product - there is gluten and dairy (and sugar) so many things we consume.

Sophia has had issues with her regularity for a few years now. I usually mentioned it on any trip to the doctor's office. She would only poop about once a week. And of course she would complain her belly hurt, then her legs would hurt, then she would have a movement, feel better, and the cycle would start again.

I was told it was fairly normal for kids her age to have a problem or resistance to going #2. And told to give her a daily dose of Miralax. She was still only going once a week. Doctor told us to up it to two doses a day, no change. We did this for more than three months. It was frustrating and things weren't getting better. Not wanting to have her be on a daily dose of Miralax for the rest of her life, I took her to my chiropractor.

During my adjustments we would frequently talk about Sophie, her lack of elimination, her diet, how she was born, etc. She suggested I do a symptoms analysis, keep a food journal, and have her come in for a consultation and adjustment.

Sophie was a bit out of alignment. And when you are out of alignment, your organs can move a bit, get kinked, and not function as correctly. Also, even the way Sophie was born could have an effect on her alignment nearly seven years later. I was in labor with Sophie for 22 hours, pushed for an hour and a half, and she was born "sunny-side up." She was specifically out of alignment at the L3 in her spine. The nerves that correspond with the L3 vertebra transmit information from the brain to the intestines.  All of this could be effecting her colon function! She also recommended going dairy and gluten free. So we did. At the same time!

It is sort of an adventure finding foods that are not only gluten free but also dairy free. And you have to be cautious about looking for ingredients that are hiding in plain site. For example, did you know most soy sauce is NOT gluten free? Made from soybeans...and wheat or another roasted grain. But they do make a GF soy sauce.

Here is a list of dairy products or ingredients - some are obvious, others? not so much. See it? Whey. Rennet Casein. Not things your mind automatically picks up on as a dairy product.

So cooking and meal planning and prep take a little more work now.

I was very excited to make my first real df/gf meal. We started this new way of eating on a Friday and I quickly adapted our meals to just omit the dairy and gluten. I think we went out for Mexican the first night - corn taco shell, beef, NO cheese. Salsa but not queso dip. Probablly not 100% df/gf but close. But the first actual planned meal? "Better Than Boxed Mac & Cheese." Better than boxed??? I must eat you!

Pasta made with quinoa, "sauce" made of a cooked pureed sweet potato, mustard, and cumin. Let me tell ya. If that was the LAST THING ON EARTH to eat? I would rater die of starvation. That shit was nasty...I've never been so glad for a kale salad on the side in my life!

My next attempt, Coconut Lime Chicken, was a much better success. I still have a lot of exploration to do!

The good news is that the elimination of dairy and gluten seems to be working. Sophie (will kill me for this eventually) had 3 BMs last week! (Yes, I keep track, this is a big deal in our house.) The eczema rash on her belly, thighs, and in between her toes? Nearly gone.

Next step after our one-month trial of df/gf is having her allergy tested to see if there is something there. She may be able to reintroduce one of the groups of food.

And if you are in the Asheville area and need a GREAT Chiropractor I highly recommend Dr. Jennifer "Anya" Harris of Crystalign Chriopractic.


No comments:

Post a Comment