Saturday, August 22, 2015

Adventure 7.25 - John's Birth Story


Hind site is 20/20 and I’m pretty sure I was in denial on Friday, August 24.

I woke up around 6 a.m. to do a few things and get ready for work. I had to go into the office for about 2 hours. And honestly, after being with the girls non-stop for the previous few weeks and their fighting and arguing, I was looking forward to a little break. Alone time in the car to have the windows down and the radio up!

Around 8 a.m. I had one contraction.

At 9 a.m. I had one contraction.

At 11 and 11:24 a.m. I had one contraction.

When I got home I was doing some work on the computer and nonchalantly told Phillip that yes, I had had some contractions.

I went to Target to get some distraction gifts for the girls not knowing when I would go into labor – I wanted something that could occupy them while I was laboring if they weren’t into watching, helping, or were being distracting.

I went to Michael’s to get some plaster strips to re-do my belly cast that Sophie and I attempted and failed at creating earlier in the week.

During these errands I had a few more contractions.

I came home, took Sophie to a friend’s house for a sleepover. By now it’s 4:00 p.m. This pattern of one or two contractions an hour had continued. But they were still 20-30 minutes apart. In my mind the contractions could stop at any moment or continue on like this for hours or days. Now, I should know better. I’m working on getting my certification to be a childbirth educator and a doula! But I still doubted the process.

Phillip and I had an appointment in town so we dropped Emma off with Uncle Ken. We went to our appointment, got a bite to eat, stopped by to see his cousin at the fire station. All the while, still enduring 2-3 contractions an hour. Around 8:30 p.m. I told Phillip we should probably make our way home.

We made a pit stop at Lowe’s to get an adaptor for the air compressor to inflate my yoga ball so I could labor on it. I remember clutching Phillip’s arm during a contraction at 9:11 p.m. on our way into the store and laughing…saying “most women would go to the hospital at this point, we’re going to Lowe’s.”  I went to the bathroom and waited for Phillip on the bench near the exit. I must have looked pained because one of the cashier’s asked me if I was okay. I told her I was ‘just having contractions’ NBD.

The turning point in realizing this was the real deal was when I had Phillip stop on the gravel driveway leading to the house. Going over the bumpy gravel was not pleasant mid-contraction.

We got in the house and told my mother-in-law it was go time. Now at this point I had NOTHING ready. Bed not properly made, birth pool not inflated, gifts for the girls not wrapped, tent not up. NOTHING. I simply had my birth supply box in the corner ready and waiting but that was it.

I called my doula, Jessica, and told her my contractions were still “sporadic.” I called the midwife to alert her. Knowing she lives about 45 minutes away I wanted to be sure she had adequate time to get to me. She informed me that she was at Mission with two laboring first time moms and I may have to come to her. I was less that pleased. This was not in my birth plan. This was not what I envisioned. I thought they had back up…I don’t remember the exact scenario with the backup midwives and their availability. Michelle the midwife said she would call me back and let me know what to do. I was a bit panicked and frustrated but we labored on and started preparing our space. Michelle called me back at 10:59 p.m. to let me know she was able to get a team together – the midwife and two birth assistants were on the way.

I was excited because the midwife that was going to be at my birth, Angie, I felt I had the best connection with over the course of my pregnancy. Secondly, one of the assistants would be Jan, who owns the practice.

Last year at my doula training I jokingly said that I needed to get pregnant so Jan could deliver my baby. She’s “the midwife” in the Asheville area. But was sad to learn she doesn’t attend many births anymore. The other assistant coming to help at the birth isn’t fully trained yet so Jan was called upon for backup support. Everything has a way of working out!

By this point my doula was here helping me and Phillip was setting up the birth pool, getting the hoses connected, setting up the tent and the lights. Due to space issues and not wanting to get water all over the hardwood floors we decided to have the baby outside. And because it was dark had to get Christmas light and tiki torches up! It had more of an air of a party than a laboring woman giving birth and I loved it!

The birth photographer showed up around 11:50 p.m. and the midwife and assistants arrived at midnight. You can see some of the beautiful images our photographer, Destinee Blau, captured via her Facebook page.

Sophie called earlier in the evening from her sleepover and wanted to come home. She got home around 10:30 p.m. Emma was in bed asleep.

My contractions were getting stronger and closer together. I couldn’t get comfortable on the yoga ball or other positions so I just stood through most of them grabbing the back of the patio chair for focus and support. Meanwhile Phillip and Jessica were in a flurry of activity.  Gathering my forgotten supplies, remaking the bed using the shower curtain liner as a waterproof barrier on the bed, heating water on the stove for the pool.

Angie was setting up her tools and supplies. I had her check me for progress and I was 7-8 cm and 100% effaced. I was eager to get into the pool. However, there really wasn’t sufficient water in there yet and it was not warm enough to safely deliver the baby in. I worked through a few more contractions on the patio. They were tough and strong contractions causing my legs to tremble. Finally, water level be damned, I had to get into the water. It covered me enough and was warmish. Luckily, Jessica kept tending to the stove and bringing more hot water. I’m not sure what time it was when I entered the pool but I can’t have been in there long.

I had a few more contractions and finally had Phillip at my side to help me through. The pool I was using for this birth was egg shaped and narrower than the one I used when I birthed Emma so it was difficult to get my legs and feet situated in a way that was comfortable.  Additionally I kept sliding forward on the step/seat that was in the pool.

Soon it was time to push. I had a few “practice pushes” and then became more eager to make the magic happen. I beared down and pushed causing my bag of waters to explode with force. I swear you could hear the water break. Sophie actually said the other day that you could hear when I broke my water! I then pushed one more time with a primal scream and pushed John out. I had to slow down a bit mid-push to give him more space and to allow for Angie to unwrap the cord from around his neck. Phillip and Jan grabbed my legs to allow more space and I finished pushing John out. 

Quickly while pushing I asked Carolyn to wake Emma so she could see her brother being born. Clearly, in denial that I would push him out so quickly, she barely got outside to see him being born! Emma looked around a few times, saw her brother, and then announced she was going back to bed!

John Abert Kelly Brown was born at 1:10 a.m. Saturday, July 25.  He was wrapped in the tartan scarf that Phillip wears and has swaddled Sophie and Emma at their births and was wrapped around the box of ashes from Phillip’s dad at his funeral service.

Sophie was by my side the whole time. She was present as I delivered the placenta and held John that first night while I was evaluated and cleaned up. She had a short placenta lesson with the midwife around 2 a.m. at the kitchen sink. She is like glue to John. I hope their relationship is always this strong!

It’s bittersweet knowing this was my last pregnancy and birth. I love the process so much and love watching my body transform and hold the strength to deliver a baby. There are things that didn’t and will never get done….like the belly cast I was going to have Phillip help me with that Friday night!

But John is here and we are grateful. To carry on the Brown family name. Our baby boy to complete our family.



No comments:

Post a Comment