Friday, May 1, 2015

Adventure #37210 - Nashville

Oh Nashville! You are a cool city.

For three days I have been attending the Emma Marketing United Conference in Nashville. A little disappointed that Phillip wasn't able to join me but not overlooking the fact that I get to have some much needed/deserved time alone. No real routine, other than shower, coffee, get to conference.

This conference is one of the best I've attended. Emma HQ is an amazing/inspiring space. They have played host to an amazing line-up of speakers, and the attendees have had a great vibe, frenzied energy, and because we are marketers and communicators - mostly all extroverted. So meeting new people hasn't been very difficult.

And although we are probably some of the most connected people some great conversations have happened when the devices were out of my hands and getting recharged. That very thing happened yesterday - I sat down, a young women sat next to me and we asked the obligatory "where are you from? what do you do?" She said she was a writer, works for the Austin Farmers, market. I shared what I do and I think she then asked when I was due, eyeing my very visible baby bump. Turns out she and her wife are trying to get pregnant, her brother lives in Asheville, and a good friend of hers is interested in writing birth materials. So needless to say - we hit it off! She invited me to an an after party at an appliance store where she would be sharing some of her farm goodness and kitchen prowess.

Turns out the woman I was speaking with was Kate Payne author of Hip Girls Guide to Homemaking and The Hip Girls Guide to the Kitchen. I enjoyed a lovely evening with a small group of other women sampling homemade tonics, cheese, jam, and PICKLES. Perfect for a pregnant woman right? Kate shared her pickling knowledge with us and demonstrated how to prep a batch of pickled carrots. I now can't wait to harvest some from our garden this summer.

And all because I was disconnected, used my eyes and voice, to engage with another human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment